In the blink of an eye, it is November and it has been a year since I took up the position as Chief Commissioner. In 2020, the COVID-19 has brought upon unprecedented changes on our everyday life, work, as well as our learning habits. Our face-to-face Scout activities had also been suspended at different phases. We did have doubts at the very beginning to cope with the constantly changing situation. Upon the strong belief that “A Scout has courage in all difficulties”, we manage to make use of the advanced technology to overcome challenges and create new thoughts to continue our Scout activities.
To create a memorable anniversary, I have put together a summary of my work in the past year:
- The works of the 5 task forces specifically set up for the “Triennial Plan 2020-2023” is well underway. A preliminary report is expected to be released in the second half of 2021.
- Special arrangements have been implemented during the pandemic. These included extending the assessment periods of youth awards, conducting the Progressive Award Online Assessment Scheme, online trainings and activities and launching of the “Hong Kong Scout - Health Guard” Programme. In response to the invitation from Home Affairs Bureau, some of our Adult Members had volunteered to serve in Tso Kung Tam quarantine centre.
- Actively promote WOSM’s online activities, including World Scout Academy, Youth Dialogues, JOTA-JOTI Special Edition and many others. The aim is to encourage our scout members to continue making friends with overseas scouts.
- Meeting up with Venture Scouts and Rover Scouts to listen to their ideas and understand their needs.
- Invited Scout groups which had participated in World War II to attend and lay wreath at Remembrance Day, thanking the contributions of their old members.
- Invited professionals to participate in different committees to share their expertise and offer assistance on scout matters
- Actively promote partnership programmes. A Memorandum of Understanding is set to be signed with World Wild Fund for Nature Hong Kong to promote environmental education. Hong Kong Sheng Kung Hui has also shown their continual support to establish Scout groups.
- Organized Chief Commissioner Retreat Pre-meeting and District Commissioner Seminar in April and June respectively, in order to strengthen internal communication.
- Encourage Scout districts to visit their Scout groups at least once a year to understand their needs and offer assistance.
- Attended local and overseas scout activities, including Scout groups anniversaries, District activities, Regional jamborees, the World Non-Formal Education Forum and the site visit of 25th World Scout Jamboree, to show support for their activities.
- Launched the Hong Kong Scout 110th Anniversary Kick-off Ceremony on 30 October 2020, kicking off the start of a series of celebration activities in the year ahead
- On the financial aspect, apart from strictly controlling our expenditure, we also make good use of external resources (including The Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust and Youth Development Commission Funding Schemes) to help promoting Scout projects and services
I feel very thankful for the work that have been done as we have been making progress in various aspects despite the pandemic. The most significant is our brother and sister Scouts have well-equipped themselves to overcome challenges which may arise from the prolonged pandemic or other unpredictable circumstances. With the joint efforts of all our members, Scouting will certainly continue to flourish and move forward to the “2020-2023 Triennial Plan”.
The world has been experiencing different disasters and conflicts since ancient times, COVID-19 is only one of them, and the mission of Scouting is to make a better world. I hope each of our Scout members will always keep the Scout Promise and Law in mind, to help those people in need, to value diversity and inclusion, as well as to “self-respect and respect others”. When you have time, please spare a minute to listen to “The Scout Hymn” and try to understand the meaning behind the song lyrics which encourages us to keep the Scout Law and influence others to do a good turn everyday to jointly create a harmonious world.